June 26, 2020
We were given a sample for this Catalina Crunch review, keto cereal. This post contains affiliate links and we may be compensated if you make a purchase. All opinions are our own.
By Alison Chew
Catalina Crunch Low Carb, Keto Cereal
Catalina Crunch is a low carb, keto cereal developed by a diabetic so that he could enjoy delicious tasting sugar-free cereal. They’ve done this by swapping out the bad empty carbs and sugar for healthy alternatives. The first major swap is using fiber-packed plant protein instead of the genetically modified wheat in order to help you feel full longer and promote gut health. The second major swap is using monk fruit instead of the sugar and artificial sweeteners to add a touch of sweetness.
By removing the empty carbs, artificial ingredients, and sugar and replacing them with natural ingredients high in protein and fiber you are not only eating a keto cereal that is low carb, but you will also stay full longer and feel better. Read on for our full Catalina Crunch Keto Cereal review.
What We Like
- 7 flavors to choose from
- Keto, low carb, gluten-free, 0 sugar, high in fiber and protein, and all but Honey Graham are vegan
- Subscription (save 20%) and one-time purchase available
- Free shipping on all orders
What We Don’t Like
- Some flavors have an after-taste
- More expensive than sugary cereals (read why, because it’s worth paying more for quality!)
Catalina Crunch Keto Cereal Review
For this review, we tried 3 of the 7 Catalina Crunch keto cereal flavors including the Mint Chocolate, Maple Waffle, and the Cinnamon Toast over the course of a week. My husband and I tried all 3 flavors both with and without milk.
My husband, who is on a low-carb diet and a mint chocolate lover, preferred the Maple Waffle and Cinnamon Toast flavors to the Mint Chocolate. This was a total surprise! He said the Mint Chocolate had a dark chocolate flavor that made it taste “dry”. I didn’t get that and liked the deep dark chocolatey taste. He also liked that each serving was 2 Weight Watchers points (without milk) so he could snack on these during the day or after dinner when he wanted something sweet and not go over his daily points. His favorite, the Cinnamon Toast, had a sugar-like coating on it that he liked and compared it to Cinnamon Toast Crunch (but without the sugar).
I preferred the Maple Waffle because I love that flavor profile (who doesn’t?). If they could throw in bacon that would be next-level amazing! I enjoyed the crunch and did feel full after eating only a small portion. The other two flavors were fine, but the Mint Chocolate left a weird after-taste in my mouth that I think is from the monk fruit sweetener. The other two left less of an after-taste for me and my husband didn’t seem to get an after-taste with any of them.
Catalina Crunch Review: Bottom Line
If you are looking for a low-carb, keto cereal made with all-natural high-quality ingredients Catalina Crunch is a tasty option. The plant protein and fibers keep you full longer and promote gut health, monk fruit adds sweetness without the sugar, and the “extra crunchy” texture helps you eat less (see below for more details). We love the unique flavors, like mint chocolate and maple waffle, which means that you will never get bored and the fact that you can buy this cereal in large bags vs individual bags. Give it a try for yourself!
Get 20% off when you subscribe through this link >>
Get a FREE smoothie with your cereal order! Click this link and use code FREE-SMOOTHIE at checkout >>
Catalina Crunch Keto Cereal Ingredients
Catalina Crunch believes in only using high-quality, all-natural ingredients because what we put into our bodies makes a difference. They only use non-GMO plant proteins and fibers, which are gluten and grain-free and designed to keep you full longer and promote gut health, and never use artificial sweeteners, flavors, or colors. You can actually eat less Catalina Crunch compared to normal sugary cereals and feel full longer. Science is awesome!
- Mint Chocolate Ingredients: Catalina Flour (Organic Pea Protein, Potato Fiber, Non-GMO Corn Fiber, Chicory Gum, Turmeric), Tapioca, Organic High Oleic Sunflower Oil, Baking Powder, Natural Flavors, Sea Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E, Organic Monk Fruit, Cocao
- Maple Waffle Ingredients: Catalina Flour (Organic Pea Protein, Potato Fiber, Non-GMO Corn Fiber, Chicory Gum, Turmeric), Tapioca, Organic High Oleic Sunflower Oil, Baking Powder, Natural Flavors, Sea Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E, Organic Monk Fruit
- Cinnamon Toast Ingredients: Catalina Flour (Organic Pea Protein, Potato Fiber, Non-GMO Corn Fiber, Chicory Gum, Turmeric), Tapioca, Organic High Oleic Sunflower Oil, Baking Powder, Natural Flavors, Sea Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Vitamin E, Organic Monk Fruit, Cinnamon
A Quick Lesson on Potatoes and Corn from Catalina Crunch
Potato Fiber vs. Potato: “Potato Fiber is made by grinding up a whole potato into potato flour and removing the starch (carbs) and protein, leaving mostly insoluble fiber. Since insoluble fiber is not digestible, potato fiber is thus Keto-Friendly and Low Carb.”
Corn Fiber vs Corn: “Catalina Crunch is Grain-Free because Corn Fiber is NOT the same thing as Corn! Corn is a Grain. Corn Fiber is not a Grain, it is a Prebiotic Fiber.”
Class dismissed 🙂
Catalina Crunch Keto Cereal Nutrition Information
- Mint Chocolate: 90 calories per 3/8 cup or 26g serving, 4g Fat, 125mg Sodium, 12g Carbohydrates, 7g Dietary Fiber, 0g Sugar, 8g Protein
- Maple Waffle: 90 calories per 3/8 cup or 26g serving, 3.5g Fat, 90mg Sodium, 11g Carbohydrates, 6g Dietary Fiber, 0g Sugar, 10g Protein
- Cinnamon Toast: 90 calories per 3/8 cup or 26g serving, 3.5g Fat, 90mg Sodium, 11g Carbohydrates, 6g Dietary Fiber, 0g Sugar, 10g Protein
They’ve also designed Catalina Crunch low carb cereal to be extra crunchy. Want to know why? They say that crunchy foods high in fiber and protein take up more room in your stomach and keep you full longer, they also take more energy to chew and therefore burn more calories, and that they are more pleasurable to eat causing your brain to tell your stomach you are full sooner so that you don’t overeat. Very cool, right?
How much does Catalina Crunch Keto Cereal cost?
When you order your Catalina Crunch cereal you receive a 30 day supply for both one-time orders and subscriptions. You will receive four or six 9oz pouches with each pouch about the same size as a normal cereal box.
- 6 pouch Variety Pack – One-time order = $69 or $2.30 per bowl*
- 6 pouch Variety Pack – Subscription order = $55 or $1.83 per bowl*
- 4 pouch Single Flavor – One-time order = $49 or $2.45 per bowl*
- 4 pouch Single Flavor – Subscription order = $39 or $1.95 per bowl*
*Each pouch has 10 3/8 cup servings with 2 servings equal to 1 bowl
A Quick Lesson on the Cost of Ingredients
Did you know that Genetically Modified Wheat and Sugar are 2 of the cheapest ingredients available? According to Catalina Crunch “wheat costs about $0.35/lb and sugar costs about $0.15/lb.” (Side note – this makes me think about how much I’m overpaying for a pound of sugar in the grocery store!) Catalina Crunch only uses high-quality, non-GMO ingredients in their cereals which, as a result, are more expensive. For example, the Organic Pea Protein ingredient costs over $6/lb and Monk Fruit (for sweetness) costs about $175/lb.
Looks like you get what you pay for!
Get 20% off when you subscribe to Catalina Crunch through this link >>
Get a FREE smoothie with your Catalina Crunch keto cereal order! Click this link and use code FREE-SMOOTHIE at checkout >>